Tteokbokki (Spicy Stir-fried Rice Cakes)
Indulge in the spicy and delicious flavors of Tteokbokki, a popular Korean dish that will leave you craving for more! This dish features chewy rice cakes stir-fried in a savory, spicy sauce that will tantalize your taste buds. It’s the perfect comfort food and can be enjoyed as a snack or a main course.
For the Rice Cakes:
- 1 pound of cylindrical rice cakes, soaked in cold water for at least 30 minutes
- 4 cups of water
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup of gochujang (Korean red pepper paste)
- 1 tablespoon of gochugaru (Korean red pepper flakes)
- 1 tablespoon of soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 cup of cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup of carrot, julienned
- In a large pot, bring the water to a boil. Add the soaked rice cakes and cook them for about 5 minutes until they become soft and chewy.
- While the rice cakes are cooking, heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the minced garlic and sauté for a minute until fragrant.
- Add the gochujang, gochugaru, soy sauce, sugar, and black pepper to the skillet. Stir well to combine all the ingredients.
- Transfer the cooked rice cakes from the pot to the skillet using a slotted spoon, allowing some of the cooking water to come with them. Stir-fry everything together for about 3-4 minutes until the sauce thickens slightly.
- Add the chopped green onions, sliced cabbage, and julienned carrots to the skillet. Stir-fry for another 2-3 minutes until the vegetables are cooked but still slightly crisp.
- Remove from heat and serve the Tteokbokki hot. Garnish with additional green onions, if desired.
Korean Fried Rice
Indulge in the flavors of Korean cuisine with this delicious and healthy Korean Fried Rice recipe. Packed with nutritious vegetables and packed with flavor, this low-calorie dish is perfect for those looking for a nutritious and satisfying meal.
For the Fried Rice:
- 2 cups of cooked rice, preferably day-old rice
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely diced
- 1/2 cup of frozen peas
- 1/2 cup of corn kernels
- 3 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon of sesame oil
- 2 green onions, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat vegetable oil in a large skillet or wok over medium heat. Add the minced garlic and chopped onion. Sauté for a minute until fragrant and the onion becomes translucent.
- Add the finely diced carrot, frozen peas, and corn kernels to the skillet. Stir-fry for about 2-3 minutes until the vegetables are cooked but still crisp.
- Add the cooked rice to the skillet and stir well to combine with the vegetables. Break up any clumps of rice with a spatula.
- Drizzle soy sauce and sesame oil over the rice. Stir-fry for another 2-3 minutes until the rice is heated through.
- Add chopped green onions and season with salt and pepper according to your taste. Stir everything together for a minute.
- Remove from heat and serve the Korean Fried Rice hot. Enjoy this flavorful and healthy dish!
These traditional Korean recipes are perfect for getting a taste of authentic Asian flavors. Whether you choose the spicy and chewy Tteokbokki or the flavorful and healthy Korean Fried Rice, both dishes are sure to satisfy your cravings. So gather your ingredients and get ready to enjoy these delicious Korean delights!