Food for the Lebanese Soul in All of Us: Izhjee (izh-jee) or The Best
Lebanon is a country well-known for its rich culinary traditions and mouthwatering dishes. One such dish that is a favorite among the Lebanese people is Izhjee, pronounced as izh-jee. It is a delicious and wholesome meal that is often enjoyed by the locals and visitors alike. The dish is simple yet packed with flavors that will transport you straight to the vibrant streets of Lebanon.
Lebanese Flat Bread (Pita)
Lebanese flat bread, also known as pita bread, is a staple in Lebanese cuisine. It is a type of bread that is flattened and baked in high heat, resulting in a soft and fluffy texture. The bread is versatile and can be used in various dishes, or simply enjoyed on its own.
– 2 cups all-purpose flour
– 1 teaspoon salt
– 1 teaspoon sugar
– 1 tablespoon instant dry yeast
– 1 cup warm water
1. In a large mixing bowl, combine the all-purpose flour, salt, and sugar.
2. Dissolve the instant dry yeast in warm water and let it sit for a few minutes until it becomes frothy.
3. Slowly pour the yeast mixture into the bowl with the dry ingredients. Mix well until the dough comes together.
4. Knead the dough on a lightly floured surface for about 10 minutes, until it becomes smooth and elastic.
5. Place the dough in a greased bowl, cover it with a clean kitchen towel, and let it rise in a warm place for about 1 hour, or until it doubles in size.
6. Preheat your oven to 500°F (260°C) and place a baking stone or heavy baking sheet inside to heat up.
7. Once the dough has risen, punch it down to release the air. Divide the dough into smaller portions, and roll each portion into a ball.
8. On a lightly floured surface, roll out each dough ball into a flat circle, about 1/4 inch thick.
9. Carefully transfer the flattened dough onto the heated baking stone or baking sheet. Bake for 4-5 minutes, or until the bread puffs up and turns golden brown.
10. Remove the bread from the oven and let it cool down before serving.
Izhjee and Lebanese flat bread are a match made in heaven. To enjoy this delightful dish, simply tear off a piece of the freshly baked flat bread, dip it into the Izhjee, and savor the explosion of flavors. The Izhjee is a hearty tomato-based stew that is made with a medley of vegetables and spices. It is often cooked with lamb or beef, which adds an extra layer of richness to the dish.
The combination of the soft and fluffy flat bread with the flavorful Izhjee is truly a taste of Lebanon. Every bite will take you on a culinary journey to the bustling streets of Beirut, where the aroma of spices fills the air. So, why not try your hand at making this Lebanese delicacy and bring a piece of Lebanon into your home?