Hey there, my fellow food enthusiasts! Today, I’ve got a ridiculously delicious treat that will transport you straight to the cozy kitchens of the South. Get ready to dive into the heavenly world of Cooked Southern Banana Pudding! Trust me, this dessert is pure bliss in every mouthful.
A Little Slice of Banana Heaven
Before we dive into the dreaminess of this incredible creation, let’s gather up all the goodies we’ll need:
- 2 ripe bananas
- 1 box of vanilla wafers
- 2 cups of milk
- 1/2 cup of granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup of all-purpose flour
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Whipped cream and additional banana slices for garnish (optional, but heavenly!)
Alright, now that our ingredients are all lined up, it’s time to step into the kitchen magic!
- First, preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). This is where the deliciousness begins!
- Take your ripe bananas and slice them into thin, delectable rounds. Keep those banana babies nearby, as they’re going to make your taste buds dance.
- Next up, grab a trusty baking dish. We recommend a 9×13-inch dish, but any similar size will do the trick.
- Now, we’re going to start layering! Begin with a heavenly layer of vanilla wafers, followed by a layer of those delightful banana slices. Repeat this mouthwatering process until you run out of wafers and bananas. Trust me, you’ll never want this layering to end!
- Alrighty, let’s move on to creating the creamy, velvety pudding that will bring this dessert to life. In a saucepan, whisk together the granulated sugar, flour, and salt. Slowly add in the milk and egg yolks, whisking until smooth and oh-so-creamy.
- Place the saucepan over medium heat and cook until the mixture thickens. Stir it consistently and keep the heat in check, as we don’t want scrambled eggs in our heavenly pudding! To test if it’s ready, dip a spoon into the mixture and run your finger down the back. If it leaves a distinct path, you’re good to go!
- Remove the pudding from the heat and stir in that tantalizing vanilla extract. Mmm, can you smell the sweet aroma?
- Now, it’s time to give your tantalizing pudding the spotlight it deserves. Pour this luscious liquid gold over those delightful layers of wafers and bananas in your baking dish. Make sure it covers every inch, spreading the love evenly.
- Bake your creation for about 15 minutes, or until the pudding sets and you notice a glorious golden hue starting to form on the top.
- Once your masterpiece is done baking, remove it from the oven and cool it down to room temperature. Trust me, this waiting period will test your patience, but it’s oh-so-worth it!
- For an extra sprinkle of magic, you can add dollops of whipped cream on top and decorate with banana slices. This will make your taste buds sing with joy!
- Now, all that’s left to do is grab your spoon and indulge in the creamy, dreamy, and downright irresistible Cooked Southern Banana Pudding. Go ahead, take a bite, and let the flavors transport you to sweet Southern bliss!
There you have it, my lovely foodie friends! A recipe that’s bound to make your taste buds do their happy dance. So gather your ingredients, preheat that oven, and get ready to embark on a blissful banana pudding adventure!
Remember, the key is to savor every spoonful with a big smile on your face. Who knew a humble dessert like banana pudding could bring so much joy? Now, go forth and create this masterpiece, and let the sweet Southern vibes embrace you!
Enjoy! And as always, happy cooking!