Today I want to share with you an absolutely delightful recipe that I recently came across. It’s for Sour Cream Scones, and let me tell you, they are simply divine! I stumbled upon this recipe on a food blog called Lord Byron’s Kitchen, and the moment I saw the photos, I knew I had to give it a try.
Sour Cream Scones
The first thing that caught my attention was the use of sour cream in this recipe. I’ve always loved anything that includes sour cream, so I was excited to see how it would work in scones. And let me tell you, it’s a game-changer!
The scones turn out incredibly moist and tender, with a slightly tangy flavor that pairs perfectly with a cup of tea or coffee. The recipe calls for simple ingredients that you probably already have in your pantry, making it easy to whip up a batch whenever you’re in the mood for a tasty treat.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the cold cubed butter to the flour mixture. Using a pastry cutter or your fingers, work the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- In a separate bowl, combine the sour cream, milk, vanilla extract, and grated orange zest. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and gently stir until just combined.
- Transfer the dough onto a floured surface and knead it a few times until it comes together. Pat the dough into a circle, about 1-inch thick.
- Using a sharp knife or a biscuit cutter, cut the dough into scones of your desired shape and size.
- Place the scones onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake in a preheated oven at 425°F (220°C) for about 15-18 minutes, or until they are golden brown on top.
- Remove from the oven and allow the scones to cool for a few minutes before serving. They are best enjoyed fresh out of the oven!
Now, if you’re a fan of citrus flavors, you’re going to simply adore these Orange Scones! This variation of the recipe incorporates the refreshing taste of oranges. Just imagine biting into a warm scone with a burst of citrusy goodness.
To make the Orange Scones, follow the same instructions for the Sour Cream Scones recipe above, but add 1 tablespoon of freshly squeezed orange juice to the wet ingredients, along with an extra teaspoon of grated orange zest. It will take your taste buds on a delightful journey!
Whether you choose to make the classic Sour Cream Scones or try out the Orange Scones, I guarantee that you won’t be disappointed. These scones are the perfect treat to make for breakfast, brunch, or even a cozy afternoon tea. So go ahead, give them a try and let me know what you think!